Thursday, July 19, 2012

No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed (or out of crib, mmkay?)

This girl?  Love her.  She's the center of our world, for sure.  But guys, she's nuts.  She's a whirling dervish of giggly, squealing craziness.  And also?  Precocious.  She's for sure almost two going on sixteen.  She pushes every single day to show me what a big girl she is, when all I want her to do is snuggle up in my arms and be my little snuggle bear.  Anyone feeling me on this one?  

It's like when I was absolutely dead set on nursing her until she was one, and she decided at, oh, maybe ten and a half months that nursing was for babies.  The next month and a half was like wrestling a greased pig every.single.time.she.needed.to.eat.  That's my girl...let's call her independent?   

So, despite her exploding vocabulary, her running/jumping/climbing skills, and her, cough, cough, spirited nature ((total 'tude)) as of late, I felt as a mama, it was my right to call her my "baby" until she was two.  I know that is dumb, but I wanted to hold on to some shred of babyness for the next two-ish months until I fully admitted she was a toddler.  Theeeeen, the other morning, I was laying in bed reading, waiting for the morning call of, "MommymommymommymommyMOMMMMMMYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!" and instead, I heard, BOOM, thunk, thunk.  I'm not going to lie, I didn't immediately jump out of bed because some mornings Allie likes to play alone in her crib for awhile, and the girl is as tough as a tank.  I sort of assumed she was just jumping in her crib or kicking it with her feet (neither is uncommon).  Then the wait went up, so I did run to my girl.  

She was standing in her hamper at the end of her crib, tears in her eyes, pride all kinds of wounded.  I scooped her up and gave her lots of kisses.  I *wish, wish, wish* that I had taken my phone, but I don't know even then if I'd have taken a picture because her little face was so pathetic, I might have felt guilty of taking her photo trapped in her little laundry basket.  Instead here is a picture of what her face probably looked like right before she went overboard...


Mischievous, no?  The conversation that followed went something like this:
Me:  Poor baby, are you okay?
Allie:  Sniff, sniff, yeah.
Me:  Did you fall down?
Allie:  Sniff, sniff, yeah.
Me:  Were you climbing out of your crib?
Allie:  Sniff, sniff, yeah.
Me:  What hurts?
Allie:  Sniff, sniff, botatoes. (Ohmygosh, she calls her bottom her potatoes...I know, I'm working on it, it's my fault, I used to sing that stupid Small Potatoes song from Disney Junior to her during diaper changes, I promise I'm trying to teach her to call it her bottom.  Heaven help us)
Me:  Snort.  Oh, are you gonna be okay?
Allie:  Need gummies (Gummy bears, I totally blame her Aunt Julie for this one).
Me:  Poor baby.  Mommy loves you.
Allie:  I get down now.  Bye, Mommy.  

Yeah, so, I'm officially hanging up "Baby" for the next few months til her little sibling shows up.  This girl is obviously all toddler.  She'll always be MY baby...but for now, she's also my big girl.


Peace out, from Allie.

No comments:

Post a Comment