Monday, April 19, 2010

Easter Times Two...Part One...Two Weeks Late

I LOVE Easter. Love, love, love. With hugs and smoochies. For one thing, I can't often believe how wonderful and blessed my regular life is. The love and support I get from my family and friends brings me to tears on a regular basis (the tears have increased dramatically since the beginning of Bean time). So, when I think about the love that Jesus had for us on Easter, that He died so that He could make a way for us to get home to Him...I find myself at a complete loss. I am humbled and small in the presence of His love.
So, you know, there's all of that. Plus, I love that it happens in spring, when the whole world is being renewed and woken up. I want pretty much to frolic in my backyard among the lilacs and do a Julie Andrews in the beginning of The Sound of Music type spin. But I won't...cuz then the neighbors would talk...and since I already took out a mailbox...I don't need that kind of PR.
Add all this to the fact that it means it is Sara's Birthday Season...and the excitement grows. Plus...wait for it...this is the first holiday we hosted as a grownup couple in our new house!!!!! Yay! I love playing hostess. LOOOOOOOOOOVE it. I love setting my table, cooking, opening our front door so family can come in...love. So, here are some of the Easter highlights from real Easter (I got to have two this year...more to come).We dyed Easter eggs before Mommy Julie woke up (you are welcome Mommy Julie :) Please do not comment on my pregnant self in glasses and Smurf jammies. Apparently children have no respect for Aunt Sar's need to sleep in. Whatever. :)Uncle Todd took articstic pictures of our dyed eggs...awesome ;)My table was set with multi-coordinating colors of Fiesta ware...in the actual dining room, not the kitchen, thank you! And thanks Julie for setting the table ;)
There was cake shaped like a lamb, because when you are Catholic, lamb shaped food items on Easter are not optional. (Although it was much debated that the cake looked more like Katie's dog Goldie than an Easter lamb...no comment)

Because in case lamb CAKE wasn't enough, Momma also brought lamb butter!!!! (So glad, would have cried a little bit to have Easter with no butter lamb. Easter rolls + regular butter/margarine=:( stupidhead


I made a ham...that was awesome...and looked just like my Momma's. Her's is better, but mine didn't suck at all for a first attempt. I was pretty darned proud of me!I got to wear my new birthday apron from my in-laws. AND it's pink AND ruffled AND has cupcakes on it. LOVE! AND my Momma and Daddy came down for the occasion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could put about a million more exclamation points, but it still wouldn't sum up how excited I was they drove down for my first hosted holiday.

And perhaps the most awesome detail of the day...there was a nephew in a jumper with a bunny on it...and carrots...and it HAD BUNNY EARS!!!!!! Could you die? He hopped around all darn day. Here he is with bunny ears at attention looking for Easter eggs in the yard.
All in all, family + friends + food + fun + lamb shaped items = successful first holiday. I hope we get to share many more that are equally as happy and delightful with the ones we love. Thanks J-Feds, Mom and Dad, K-ma for making it a wonderful day! Love you all!
















1 comment:

  1. I'm dying a little laughing at the lamb cake and butter. Apparently lamb shaped food items are only obligatory for Catholics in da region. I went through 9 whole stinkin months of Catholic-ness and was NEVER told about any such thing! :) Matthew also confirms that his family never had any lamb items at Easter.
    I do love the Goldie cake, and lamb butter though! Matthew says that it's a tradition that we're 'bouts to start :) Super cute!

    ReplyDelete