Sunday, December 12, 2010

The New Normal

On Saturday night, we had some very lovely friends come to hang out with us and love on our baby, and they asked THE question:

"So, what's the biggest change that came with having a baby that you just didn't expect."  (Okay, that shouldn't be in quotation marks...I have no idea if that is what was actually said, but you know, that was said -ish.)

Hmmmmm...I had to think about it for a minute.  I wanted to say EVERYTHING!  Nothing is the same:  my belly is striped...striped I say!  We don't go anywhere without a diaper bag, a car seat, a paci, an extra outfit or two, and a partridge in a pear tree.  Most days I would trade my right foot for a nap and a magic fairy who would come and tidy up my house.  The amount of time I have been alone in the past eleven weeks equals the car trip to and from the movies the ONE time I left the baby to see Harry Potter! 

But you know what?  None of that  matters.

Because I'd gladly trade the most exciting grown up night out for this...
Watching Allie marvel at her very first Christmas tree. (Do you see that she can't take her eyes off of it?  She's staring at the lights with super-intensity.  I think we have a new favorite toy...don't tell ceiling fan, it would break his heart.).

And who cares if I can't linger lazily over coffee or if my kitchen is constantly full of dirty dishes...

because I'm NOT going to miss a moment of my husband playing on the floor with his little princess.

And I'm okay with not being fully rested for the next 18 years...
as long as these are the people I get to be with when I wake up in the morning. 

And sometimes, the impossible happens.  Like this glorious morning:  my baby slept until nine (okay, she didn't go to bed until 1:30, but still!)!  We all cuddled in bed, napped, cuddled on the couch, played Angry Birds, cuddled in the recliner, watched football, cuddled some more, and ate cookies.

It may not be especially extraordinary or exciting to some people, but I'm loving our new normal. 
And seriously, how could I not absolutely adore every second of my new life as a mommy?  I mean, come on...have you seen this face?

Stay warm in this crazy snow!  And if you need some people to be a couch potato with, come on over.  We've got cookies, cocoa, cuddles, and a pretty awesome baby's first Christmas tree.  We'd love to have you :)

Hugs!
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment